Tuesday, July 20, 2010

week 1: day 2.

Today's Workout:

Zumba (1 hour)

Working out is always more fun with friends :).
My mom went too...she's my most faithful workout buddy!

Today's Meals:

BREAKFAST:
-Chocolate Raspberry LUNA bar (170 cal.)


SNACK:
-12 oz. iced mocha w/ whole milk (165 cal.)
(*this isn't my drink...I forgot to take a photo
so I took one of Ashley's hot mocha)



-1/2 of a Noah's Spinach Swiss Bagel (205 cal.)
-1 Tbsp. Sun-dried Tomato Basil Schmear (30 cal.)


LUNCH:
Panera for lunch w/ my mom & aunt:
-Tomato, Mozerella & Basil half salad (210 cal.)
(*I didn't eat the croutons and 
saved over 100 calories!!!)
-Garden Vegetable soup (110 cal.)
-Side wheat baguette (180 cal.)


SNACK:
-Lite String Cheese (60 cal.)


DINNER:
"Taco Salad"
-Salad, tomato, onion, cilantro (not counting these!)
-Peach Salsa (30 cal.)
-1 Tbsp. fat-free sour cream (10 cal.)
-1/4 c. Black Beans (70 cal.)
-Chicken (160 cal.)


My favorite wine....
-Willamette Valley Vineyards Riesling(~120 cal.)
*This wasn't part of my plan for eating today

DAY'S TOTAL:
1520 calories

I went over my 1200 calorie goal, but 1520 is still nothing to sneeze at and definitely still low enough to lose weight.  

Oh...and while I'm mentioning it, I just wanted to say that I received an e-mail from a concerned reader about the number of calories that I am consuming - she felt that 1200 calories was not enough and suggested that it might not be a great example to send to my readers.  I appreciate this concern and wanted to address it.

I've dieted off and on throughout the years and I know my body and what works for myself.  I have a pretty slow metabolism - I can honestly look at food and gain weight.  I've played around with my calorie intake and 1200 calories is the optimal weight loss area for me.  If I up my intake to 1400 I pretty much just maintain my weight.  I've done Weight Watchers before and my daily allotment of "points" was 20 which is approximately equal to 1,000 calories.  I think that is a little low, but if Weight Watchers is recommending it, then it's probably a fairly healthy amount.  I also poked around on the internet and found multiple websites that stated that 1200 calories is a healthy amount for weight loss.  Here's one quote:


"A diet based on 1200 calories daily is the recommended minimum for safe and healthy weight loss. This is because 1200 calories will generally provide an adequate nutritional intake for most individuals, yet still allows the reduction of calories to the level that most dieters require in order to lose weight.  





Many diet plans for weight loss that are developed by nutritionists and health professionals are based on 1200 calories daily."











Also...most days I will probably eat more than 1200 calories - this is just a goal.  Because I am doing a lot of "ball parking" when estimating calories, many times the things I eat will be more calories than I think.  Additionally I will always eat when I am genuinely hungry.  If I have already eaten my "quota" for the day, but I'm still hungry then that means my body needs something and I want to be sensitive to that.

I just wanted to say that I hope that this blog is a motivation to others who are working toward their fitness goals as well, but I am in no way endorsing that you do the exact same thing that I do.  Your body is your own and your caloric needs may be different than mine.

Whew!  That was a lot of wordiness, but I just wanted to clear that up.

Hope you all had a healthy day!

xo
{Lauren}

8 comments:

  1. i used to eat only 900 calories and it was perfect me...i know that it is low but i was eating enough, never hungry and eating lean meats, fresh veggies and fresh fruit. like you, i can gain weight just by looking at it. totally sucks. i like it when i feel a little hungry... and it's usually on a day after i pig out and then eat well - i always think of it as my body getting used to less food and my tummy shrinking... i mean, we're only suppose to eat meals that are the size of our fist - our stomachs aren't made to eat so much food and to expand as much as they do when we get used to pigging out. that's just my opinion though.
    i say way to go. and like you said, everyone is different and everyone needs are different.
    good job lauren!

    xo. thanks.
    xo. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep up the good work Lauren! Thanks for inspiring me to do better with my food choices and portions. I really need to work on portions more than anything. I always do better losing weight when I have a lovely weight loss buddy!Thanks buddy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. just to point out--anything below 1200 cals is way too low. I did weight watchers for a little bit too, was given 20 points and thought I could only eat 1000 calories to lose weight..I talked to many people in WW world and they all said that those points are just a base, and you're supposed to use the other points you have as well. my metabolism got all screwed up after that! keep up the good work..i'm in it with ya girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oops. guess i should hold off on my 3000 calorie a day diet? :-O

    ReplyDelete
  5. I gain weight by looking at food too. I've generally been eating from 1000-1300 calories a day, and if I really go over that, I'm just going to maintain. I'm going to get some Luna bars next time I'm at the store! PS- Where do you get the Carnation instant breakfast? I couldn't find it at my grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm the same way!
    And I looked it up, and I should be eating 1200 a day to healthily lose weight, too.
    And the women on Biggest Loser only eat 1200 a day, and they also burn 6000 in a day!
    So I'd say it's totally safe.
    :)

    Looks like you had a great day, girl.
    Good for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I completely agree with you - nobody knows what works best for you better than you. some women can eat 1500 calories a day and lose weight while some gain weight from that.
    If 1200 works for you - as a reader - I won't go starving myself to follow your example. No weight loss story is the same.
    Love your blog! Glad I found it.

    ReplyDelete